David-James Sebag is a partner in Gide’s Mergers & Acquisitions / Corporate practice group. Member of the New York and Paris Bars, he specialises in Mergers & Acquisitions, Venture Capital and Private Equity, with a focus on cross-border transactions, sharing his time between New York and Paris.
David-James has represented a large number of US companies and European private equity funds in their investments in French companies, and advises French companies in their various growth operations (acquisitions, partnerships, financings or restructurings) in France and abroad, particularly in the US. He also advises private equity investors, corporate clients and entrepreneurs on venture capital and growth transactions with an industry focus on technology companies. Prior to joining Gide, David-James was a partner in the corporate department of another international law firm in Paris; he started his career in the New York office of a US firm.
David-James recently advised:
- The JV between the CDC International (French sovereign fund) and Qatar Investment Authority for their investment in Devialet.
- Guerbet on the $270 million acquisition of the Contrast Media and Delivery Systems business of Mallinckrodt (NYSE).
- Hitachi Data Systems on the acquisition of oXya, a French leader in SAP technical solutions.
- Invensense. (NYSE) on the acquisition of assets including the French motion-sensor company Movea for $81 million.
- Shareholders of Dataiku for their flip transaction of the company to the US.
- The management of Sushi Gourmet for the leverage buy-out of TA Associates and the following build-up acquisition of Genji in the US.
- Shareholders of Bimedia on the majority leverage buy-out financing by Omnes Capital.
- Private equity investors of French software group Graitec on the sale of the company to Autodesk Inc. (NASDAQ).
- DBV Technologies, medical device company, on its Initial Public Offering on the Paris Euronext (NYSE) market and on its dual-listing on the NASDAQ.
- French private equity firm Idinvest partners on various investments in technology companies in Europe (including Molotov, Finance Fox, Secret Escapes, Storefront, Organica).
- A French semi-conductor company on the $50 million acquisition of a European division of Atmel Inc. (NASDAQ).
- US private equity firm Accel Partners on its purchase of a 30% stake of showroomprivé.com.
David-James graduated from Columbia Law School (LL.M. 2001) and from Paris I – Panthéon-Sorbonne University (DEA US Business Law 2000 and DESS Business and Tax Law 1999).
« The increasingly visible David-James Sebag enters the rankings this year. Clients highlight his ‘particularly good knowledge of French-American elements.’ He advises private equity funds and corporate clients mainly coming from the technology sector on venture capital and growth transactions. »
Chambers Europe 2018