Ongoing technological evolution and development of digitalisation regularly bring issues pertaining to personal data protection back into the spotlight. Additionally, worldwide personal data processing operations are regulated by an increasingly demanding legal context, exposing companies to more significant image risks and sanctions in the event of non-compliance with the applicable rules.
Drawing on recognised expertise and long-standing experience in the field, Gide’s Data Protection team includes lawyers specialised in the fields of new technologies and European law.
Our lawyers are regularly consulted on questions related to the implementation of personal data processing operations and their compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation, the EU Regulation 2016/679 of 27 April 2016 (the “GDPR”) and the provisions of the French Data Protection Act of 6 January 1978, which was revised on 20 June 2018 with the entry into force of the GDPR.
In addition, Gide constantly monitors developments in the field of data protection, such as the e-Privacy draft regulation.
Gide regularly leads multi-country studies on the legal requirements applicable to personal data processing, and more generally advises clients on:
- The preparation and the implementation of personal data processing operations that comply with French and international legal requirements,
- The changes introduced by the GDPR and the implementation of compliance mechanisms further to audits and gap analyses,
- Completing administrative formalities with data protection authorities,
- Marketing and advertising in the context of online or mobile activities,
- Issues pertaining to the management of human resources and the implementation of whistleblowing systems,
- The implementation of cross-border personal data flows and transfer of personal data to countries outside the EEA, in particular in the context of their international development or the development of their online or Cloud activities,
- The transfer and communication of personal data as part of international investigations and litigation,
- The management of control procedures and defence within the course of sanction procedures launched by the data protection authorities.
In-depth European Expertise
Gide was among the first international law firms to open an office in Brussels in 1967. Drawing on longstanding practice of European law and sector-based regulations, Gide assists its clients in interpreting and implementing European legal texts and in getting their voice heard throughout the European legislative process.
In the regulatory field, our lawyers have an outstanding command of European procedures and have regular contact with the European institutions, in particular the European Commission and Parliament.
Moreover, our lawyers have extensive underlying subject matter experience in technology, banking and finance, consumer protection, international law, intellectual property, healthcare and litigation, and have played a leading role in the most recent regulatory developments, including in the field of personal data protection.
Gide also acts in preparing and filing complaints with the European Commission for infringements to the European law that would affect the interests of its clients, such as, for instance, the incorrect transposition or application of EU texts into national Member State law.